Sunday, June 12, 2016

A Tiny Hand to Hold

I have climbed the mountain
And I have touched the sky,
I have nurtured children
And taught them how to fly.

There is something special
in a child’s embrace
To hold their tiny hands
and gaze into their face.

I have walked on beaches
And watched the sunset dim,
I have nurtured children
And taught them how to swim.

There is something special
in a child’s voice
To hold their tiny hands
and help them make a choice.

I have climbed in branches
And scaled the tallest tree,
I have nurtured children
And helped them to be free.

There is something special 
 in a child’s love
To hold their tiny hands
and teach of God above. 

By Roy Hayward


I started writing this poem yesterday as I sat in the Provo City Center Temple waiting to be sealed to my two newly adopted children. I didn't actually write anything as I wasn't somewhere that I could write and didn't have anything with me to write with.  So I played with the words in my head. 

Most of the time when this happens, I get to the place where I can write, and the words don't work on the page the way they did in my head, or I am missing part of the mood that inspired me. It takes a lot of work to try and write the poem then.  

But this time, I wrote the first line, and the rest of the poem started to fall into place. I guess I'm still riding pretty high on the joy of being in the temple. I don't know how long this feeling will last, but my wife and I are very happy. Our kids seem pretty happy. And I think I'm gonna have a stupid, sappy grin on my face for a while. 

1 comment:

  1. The "stupid,sappy" grin might be the way the world interprets your beaming joy, but not Heavenly Father, Jesus, or the Saints in the know! We are setting our 3 grandkids: Elek 5, Aurelia almost 3, and Elorah 1. Joy joy joy! Your poem speaks of real love.

    ReplyDelete