Friday, March 21, 2014

Roy Picks a Bracket

If you are anywhere in the USA, you know that what is called March Madness has infected the workforce of the country. People are calling in sick, and staying up late to watch their DVRs of games. And discussions are rampant in offices and restaurants across the fruited plains. All about the championship  games and predictions.

This year I have also picked out a bracket. (I also picked one last year.) After I picked my last years bracket, I discovered that those little numbers next to the team names were their rankings.  My method in 2013 was to pick the mascots that I liked best. This year my bracket is all underdogs.

My performance seems to be about the same so far.

Why did I do this? Well, I'm glad you asked. Basically, its because sports is about entertainment. I watch movies, I read books, and from time to time I watch sports. I do all of these things to be entertained.

On the other hand, I don't pay attention to what actors are going to rehab, what authors do in their spare time, or what teams and players have what statistical pedigrees. I have other things to do. (Like watch movies, read books and sleep) So without this repository of information picking winners in the March Madness brackets is like flipping coins for me. I just don't care about them enough to get the information.

In summary I have one goal. Its not a goal to learn more about sports, or to come up with a better way to pick a bracket next year. Instead, my goal is not never write about this topic again.

No comments:

Post a Comment