Friday, November 9, 2012

Greatness

One of the many things that ticked off people like me about President Obama, was his perceived lack of belief in The Great Nation.  It is unpopular in my home to say, "Americans believe that America is great just as Frenchmen believe that France is great."  It might be an interesting topic to debate, but the leader of a country should be the lead promoter of that countries greatness.

I believe in greatness. 

For example, last week I took my wife out to eat.  We went to a little restaurant that we hadn't been to before.  It was great.  I was impressed with the food and service.  I posted about it on Facebook.  And I plan on telling my brothers about it next time we get together.  When I find something I believe is great, I tell others about it.  And I tell them what was so great about it.

I believe that America is great.  I believe we are great because we have an inspired constitution with liberties like freedom of speech and religion.  We are great because we have a culture of mavericks and entrepreneurs that push the edges of what can be done.  And we are great because we are charitable with out gifts giving more than any other nation or people to others in needs.

To me these are the things that make a nation great.

Truly great.

I have been to other nations.  And there are some great things about them.  But I still believe that America is the greatest of all nations.

I have met people from Asia and Europe that have some criticisms of my country.  But it really doesn't matter.  You may have some criticisms about a baseball hitter as he pushes the home run record of the season.  But you don't deny that he is great.  And when he sets that record, or breaks it, he becomes the greatest in that thing.

Even if he is not the best outfielder.  Or even if he likes dumb movies.  Even if…….

Greatness is not just an emotional reaction.  Everyone does not think they are the greatest at all things.  There is a comparative measurement.  Some things and some people and some nations are greater than other things, people and nations.

I believe this.  I know this.  I don't understand my fellow citizens that don't understand this too. 

What am I missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment