Sunday, November 4, 2012

Distractions

Today, I am a bit distracted.  I have actually been distracted for a couple of weeks.  And I expect that I will be a bit distracted for a few more.  For me, this is the time of year for distractions.

I won't go into too much detail as to the root source of my distractions.

But this means that there are a few things that are difficult to do.  Like writing.  I have a couple of WIPs or works in progress.  There is another Periculum story in the works, temporarily called "Lot and Found".  I have my first novel, "Essen Century" that needs a major edit, and a few chapter rewrites.  I have a new novel, "The Legend of Trees" that is four chapters in and stuck because I don't have time.  And then there is my new NaNoWriMo project which is a really cool story called "Passion and Restraint" that takes the Christopher Brandon character from Jane Austin's "Sense and Sensibility" and tells his back story.  Lots of action there.

What does this have to do with distractions.  Well, when I set down to any of these projects, I am only able to write a few pages before my mind begins to wander and I end up wasting time.  Very frustrating.

Not that I am normally a writer with laser focus, but I am used to being able to set down and pound out 3 to 5 thousand words without losing focus.  Right now I am lucky to get past 1 thousand before I am toast.

So what do you do when you have lost your focus? I seem to watch a few youtube videos, listen to some music, watch documentaries on the solar system, and write a whiney blog post about how distracted I am.

Well, back to the grind stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment