Monday, March 26, 2012

Set a blog on fire.

The saying goes like this; "If you build a man a fire, you warm him for a day.  But if you set a man on fire, you can warm him for the rest of his life."

There are two levels to this proverb.  The first is purely an entertainment level.  People think that we are about to say, "Teach a man to build a fire." like the proverb about fishing.  And then we twist it in a humorous way.  It makes me smile.  I like this level and spend a bunch of time there.

But then there is another level.  What if fire is a metaphor, and not a dangerous state of combustion?  For me, being set on fire is akin to having my mind opened to new knowledge and experience.  In christianity we sometimes speak of the Holy Spirit like fire.

"he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance"  from John 14:26

I also feel like learning to read is like this.  Having homeschooled my children there is a point where their education experiences this exponential increase.  Like looking at a hockey stick graph showing compounding interest learning to read, really reading, set my children off on an exploration of the world that was both self directed, and at a velocity that would be impossible to impose.

Their minds experienced the "fire" in the metaphor and their minds have been warmed for the rest of their lives.

This also happens in other areas.  When I fell in love with my wife, I was set on fire emotionally and I am different.  I can be warmed from that love the rest of my life if I don't mess it up.

When I served two years of missionary service for my church my faith, that was already working and effective, was set afire in a new way and with new strength.

And I was set afire politically when I realized what apathy was doing to a nation I was raised to love.

So I hope that you will forgive me for taking strong stands.  For speaking out against the evils of tolerating evil.  For insisting that we call a spade a spade, and not calling bad good.  And for speaking plainly so that no one can hear and not be offended.

The constant conciliation and appeasement that goes on by good people is like Chamberlain before Hitler.    It does not, and cannot work.  It only brings greater sadness and pain later.

It is really easy to write and speak the milk toast of the politically correct.  But it is not an act of a patriot who loves his nation.

It is a much much better thing, and shows much much more love to stand against people that are wrong, and point out where that is and how to correct the problems.  And it is a much much better thing I intend to do.

By the way, I also write short stories, some of which will show up here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment