Tuesday, October 13, 2009

That LibraryThing you do.

Ok, so the title is lame, but I am in love with LibraryThing. You may have noticed the LibraryThing widget I have posted on the blog. If you click on any of the covers they will take you to my on-line library catalog where my wife and I have entered all of our books. (ok, most of our books)

What is LibraryThing?

LibraryThing is a website that lets you put your books in an on-line searchable catalog. And if you have as many books as I do, you have said, "Hey, don't I have that book?" at times. Now, when in a used book store or garage sale, with LibraryThing, I can look up my on-line catalog from my phone, and find out.

Here is how it works.

First, you can get your free account, and try it out. Then you get a book. Type in the book's title or ISBN number and LibraryThing will look up the information about the book from Amazon, Library of Congress and other places and offer you some options from what it finds. You click on the cover that best fits your book, and LibraryThing adds it to your catalog.

Seem like a lot of work?

Not compaired to finding and entering all of the book's related information, author, publication data, genre, etc. And there is a cool barcode scanner that you can buy from them to make scanning in books even faster. And you don't have to do it all at once. You can sit down with a stack of books, scan or enter them, put them back on the shelf and do something else. LibraryThing will let you know if you enter or scan a book a second time. (it will let you, but it will also tell you.)

Among other features

There are book reviews, discussions, book give-aways, and other stuff the people at LibraryThing are adding to their site. But for me, the core feature is having an easy way to document what books I have, and access that on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment